Hong Kong Shows Suspend Preparations
The organizer of the May Hong Kong shows has put its plans for the events on hold, as quarantine rules have made it impossible to host an international fair.
Measures enforced by the Hong Kong government on March 19 require all travelers arriving in the city to isolate themselves for 14 days to stem a second wave of coronavirus cases. The rule will remain in effect until June 18, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) noted in a statement on its website Monday.
Overseas exhibitors and buyers will have “great difficulty” attending the Hong Kong International Diamond, Gem & Pearl Show and the Hong Kong International Jewellery Show, which are currently scheduled for May 18 to 21, the HKTDC explained. They were previously set for March, but were postponed due to the pandemic. Organizers are now working on alternative arrangements for the events.
“In light of the changing situation, we have decided to suspend the preparation work for the twin fairs,” the council continued. “At the same time, we are consulting with the industry to come up with other viable solutions. Details of any new arrangements will be announced in due course.”
Around 2,000 exhibitors had committed to renting booths for the May shows before the HKTDC stopped processing applications, it said.
While Hong Kong was initially successful in limiting the spread of COVID-19, its case count has risen in recent weeks due to people arriving from elsewhere in the world. On Monday, it also banned all non-residents from visiting for the next two weeks.
“We will make every effort to provide the industry with the same safe and effective jewelry-trading platform, and continue helping companies capture business opportunities through multiple channels,” the HKTDC said.